Most of us look forward to the summer break with great excitement but for some young people it can be a time of anxiety especially for those who rely on regular face-to-face contacts with their friends or who enjoy the security and structure provided by the school day.
If you are concerned about any young person in respect of their emotional wellbeing or you feel that they are vulnerable to harm or abuse and you are uncertain whether they are receiving support you may wish to contact one of the agencies listed. Many of the agencies have established links and will ensure that your concern or query is directed to the appropriate agency.
• Call Derbyshire (Derbyshire County Council Social Services) 01629 593 193
• First Contact (Derby City Council Social Services): 01332 641172
• First Response (Staffordshire County Council Social Services) 0800 1313 126 [Emergency out of hours: 0345 604 2886]
• Child Line 0800 1111
• Online issues or exploitation contact Child Exploitation and Online Protection Agency (CEOP) https://www.ceop.police.uk/Ceop-Report/
• Suspicion that a young person is at risk of Child Sexual Exploitation- contact Safe and Sound 01332 362120
• Advice, support and options if you, or someone you love, goes missing or runs away- 24 Hour Anonymous Helpline Text or Call 116 000
• Radicalisation/Extremist behaviour see advice on:
Police 101 (999 in an emergency)
Crimestoppers UK 0800 555 111
The relaxed atmosphere of a summer break can also lead to young people lowering their guard. Please continue to talk to the young people in your care about online and social media safety and encourage them to share any concerns that they have about any contacts they receive. CEOP have an excellent website called “Think u know” which can be accessed on https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/ On the website there is a “Support Tools section on the top menu from which you can access a number of informative films which you may wish to watch on your own or with young people in your care
Mrs S Cain
Designated Safeguarding Lead