We offer three subjects within Design & Technology : GCSE Design & Technology, GCSE Food and BTEC Level 2 Construction and the Built Environment
GCSE - Design and Technology (Edexcel):
· Component 1 - Core – all pupils will explore the different areas of Design & Technology (EXCEPT FOOD) and then focus on one of the following specialist areas from Easter in Y10: 1. Electronics & Systems, 2. Graphics 3. Resistant Materials or 4. Textiles
· Assessment: External Exam - 50% of total marks. The exam will consist of the following: Core 40% and chosen specialist area 60%
· Component 2 – NEA (Non Examined Assessment). Students will produce a Design and Make project i.e. a folder and practical item in their chosen specialist area – 50% of total marks. The theme of the NEA is released by the exam board on the 1st June during Y10.
· Exam Board: For further details please visit: Edexcel – GCSE Design & Technology
GCSE – Food Technology (AQA)
Exam paper: Contributes 50% towards GCSE:
• Written exam: 1 hour 45 minutes
• 100 marks
The exam consists of five core topics:
• Food, nutrition and health
• Food science
• Food safety
• Food choice
• Food provenance.
Questions are divided as follows:
• Multiple choice questions (20 marks)
• Five questions, each with a number of sub questions (80 marks)
NEA Assessment: Contributes 50% towards the GCSE.
Task 1: Food investigation (30 marks)
Students' understanding of the working characteristics, functional and chemical properties of ingredients.
Practical investigations are a compulsory element of this NEA task.
Task 2: Food preparation assessment (70 marks)
Students' knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to the planning, preparation, cooking, presentation of food and application of nutrition related to the chosen task.
Students will prepare, cook and present a final menu of three dishes within a single period of no more than 3 hours, planning in advance how this will be achieved.
Pupils have a choice within each NEA task – A range of brief’s are available to choose from.
Exam Board: For further details please visit: AQA – GCSE Food Technology