Secondary School Direct
About this course
This secondary teacher training course leads to a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It prepares and equips you to teach your subject in secondary schools and post-16 colleges. School and university training is integrated throughout the course and the University and St Mary’s Catholic High School will work closely together to identify your individual capabilities and needs and to enable you to make progress in your development as a teacher.
This PGCE course comprises of 60 credits at Masters level and 60 credits at level 6 plus the recommendation for the award of QTS.
On the course you
• enhance your subject knowledge, understanding and skills
• learn how to teach your subject
• learn about the wider role of teachers in school
• gain knowledge about schools and the education system
• apply your skills and knowledge on school placements
• gain experience of working alongside other professionals who support the care and development of individual pupils in schools
We help you to develop the skills you need to be a successful teacher of pupils of all abilities and backgrounds. While studying with us you build your enthusiasm, confidence, knowledge and ability to teach your subject.
This course begins in early September and finishes by the end of June in the following year.