St Mary’s Catholic High School in partnership with the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University has School Direct secondary initial teacher training places available for 2017/18 in:
Art & Design; Biology; Computing; Design and Technology; English; Geography; Mathematics; MFL; Physics; RE
School Direct Teacher Training
St Mary’s is the lead school for the School Direct programme in our local area. Our programme offers you an initial teacher education programme of the highest quality, supported by outstanding teachers in our own and partner schools at both primary and secondary level. You will gain practical hands-on experience from the start combined with a solid academic background in collaboration with our partner universities in Sheffield. We have filled our primary places for the year 2017-18 but still have places on the secondary programmes indicated.
All our School Direct courses lead to both Qualified Teacher Status and either a PGCE (60 Masters’ credits) or PGDE (120 Masters’ credits) qualification. Newly Qualified Teachers who have been trained within our alliance are highly sought after by our partner schools and other schools in the local area who recognise the quality of our training programme.
Why choose the St Mary’s School Direct route?
- Experienced and fully accredited mentors across a broad range of schools in the North East and mid Derbyshire and South Yorkshire areas.
- School placements tailored to your strengths and interests.
- A partnership that works with both Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam Universities to develop a programme of the highest calibre.
- A partnership which recognises that the key to outstanding student success is in investing in the development of outstanding teachers.
What will the training be like?
- Training lasts for one academic year starting in September 2017 and involves considerable school-based experience in partnership schools – typically four days a week (depending on the programme), with one day per week spent at University during the Autumn term
- You will do placements in two contrasting schools
- PGCE/PGDE and Master’s level teaching is scheduled throughout the year and takes place at either Sheffield University or Sheffield Hallam University (depending on the programme).
- You will work with an experienced mentor throughout the programme.
What personal attributes, qualifications and experience are we looking for?
- The motivation, commitment, resilience and ability to inspire a love of learning; these are the essential characteristics needed to successfully complete the programme and progress in your career.
- GCSE grade C minimum (or equivalent) in English and Maths
- A first degree at a minimum of upper second class honours is usually required however consideration will be given to exceptional applicants with a lower second class degree (must already have, or anticipate being awarded).
- Recent observation and/or employment experience in a secondary school.
- A pass in the DfE mathematics and English skills test.
How is the programme financed?
- The places still available are non-salaried; the programme fees are currently £9,000.
- Training bursaries may be available depending on DFE priorities. You can also access maintenance grants (see the Get into Teaching website for further details (http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding).
How can I apply for the programme?
- All applications must be made via the UCAS portal (www.ucas.com)
- Successful candidates are invited to interview. The interview involves group tasks, interaction with pupils and individual interviews.
If you require more information, please email: