Applications for Year 7 Admission

The Governing Body of St Mary’s is the admission authority and the Local Authority co‑ordinates all admissions on behalf of the Governing Body. The process for transfer from primary to secondary school begins in the September that a child starts Year 6. Parents are required to make an online application through the Local Authority (link at the bottom of this page). As well as the Local Authority application parents are required to complete our Supplementary Information Form which can be downloaded on this page. When complete this form should be sent directly to St Mary’s by post or by email to

If you are applying for a school place and you live outside Derbyshire (e.g. Sheffield), then you will need to apply via your own local authority (e.g. Sheffield City Council) who will then liaise with Derbyshire County Council. This is the case for normal applications for secondary school at the start of Year 7 as well as applications to change school at any other time.

In-Year Applications

Parents should contact the Local Authority to make an application. Those applying from out of County should make their application to their home Authority which is sent on to Derbyshire. The Local Authority will contact us to find out if a place is available. If a place is not available in the relevant year group a refusal will be returned to them. Parents will then be given the right of appeal. Appeals Guidance Notes and Appeal Form can be downloaded via the Derbyshire county council website.


Please see below a summary of what parents / carers need to know:

Parents have a legal right to express a preference for which school they want their child to attend. This is not the same as being able to choose, but means that if a parent expresses a preference for a particular school and there are places available then a place should be offered at that school. However, in law there is no automatic right to place a child in any particular school and it may not be possible to offer a place at a preferred school.

When applying for a secondary school place you must apply through the council covering the area in which you live, which may not be the same as where the school is.

If all school places are allocated and consequently the local authority informs you the school is full, then parents / carers can still appeal against that decision to an independent appeals panel. The decision of the independent appeals panel is binding on the local authority, the school and parents / carers.

Apply for a school place:

Telephone Derbyshire County Council: 08456 058058 – questions or concerns


You can find out more about applying to St Mary`s School by downloading the Admissions Policy Documents.