Telephone: 01246 201191 - Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

What should my child do if they miss the bus in the morning?
Your child should return home and try to make alternative arrangements to get to school, by service bus or lift. School should be telephoned to advise of late arrival.

What should my child do if they arrive late to school?
Your child should immediately go to Pupil Reception and sign in.

What should my child do if they feel ill during the school day?
Your child should inform his teacher or Form Tutor if they feels ill during registration or lesson time. During break or lunch they should find and inform his Form Tutor or another member of staff or report directly to Pupil Reception.

What should I do if my child is ill and cannot attend school?
Please telephone and advise the Reception staff that you child will be absent. If the absence continues, please keep school informed by telephone.

What should my child do on returning to school after an absence?
On returning, your child should bring in an Absence Note explaining the reasons for the absence. Your child should also talk to each subject teacher regarding catching up on missed work.

How do I get an urgent message to my child during the school day?
We would ask you to avoid requesting routine messages to be passed to children wherever possible. If a message is urgent, please telephone Reception and the message will be passed on to your child.

What should my child do if he/she loses or misplaces something whilst at school?
Your child should immediately inform a member of staff who will advise. Your child should check in Lost Property at Pupil Reception as well.

What should I do if my child leaves something on the bus?
You should contact the bus company direct and report what has been left behind. The school receptionist will be able to give you the contact details of the bus company.

What would be the cost of an average school meal?
£ 3.00

How can I ensure that my child is eating properly at school?
Pupils are all informed of the necessity of healthy eating and are encouraged to have a balanced, healthy diet from the school canteen. If you have any concerns regarding your child’s eating at school, please check on their parent pay to see what they are buying. If there are concerns evident from this please contact your child’s Head of Year and we will discuss these with you and work together on how best to address the issues.

What should I do if I think my child is eligible for Free School Meals?
Please contact the Administration office and ask to speak to the person responsible for Free school meals.

What should I do if I feel my child is struggling in a particular subject?
In the first instance, it is important to talk to your child and try to establish the nature of the problem. If you require support, you should contact either the subject teacher, Form Tutor or Head of Year as appropriate.

What should I do if my child appears generally unhappy with school?
If you wish to discuss the general well-being of your child at school, you should in the first instance contact their Form Tutor.

What should I do if my child is having friendship problems?
If you feel you need the school to intervene and assist, please contact the Form Tutor who may be able to discuss the issues with you and work with you and your child to resolve them. The Form Tutor will discuss more serious concerns with the Head of Year whom you may also contact if you feel this is more appropriate.

How can I help my child manage stress?
There is an excellent series of publications entitled “101 Tips for Parents” which deals with a whole range of issues involving parenting and problems in the teenage year. You may find some helpful support here. Click here to go to the website.

What should I do if I fear my child is being bullied?
We have a robust Anti-Bullying policy in school which sets out the procedure to follow. It is crucially important that you contact the school as early as possible if you have reason to feel your child is being bullied or, indeed, is engaged in bullying.

What should I do if I am unable to attend a Parents’ Evening?
Parents’ Evenings are crucially important to the progress and well-being of your child and to the relationship between school, home and child. If you cannot attend, however, you should contact the Form Tutor who will liaise with the Head of Year.

Where can I purchase items of school uniform?
Our uniform supplier Monkhouse can supply all items of school uniform.

What should I do if I wish to take my child out of school for a holiday?
We strongly discourage and do not authorise holidays during term time as they inevitably have an adverse effect on your child’s progress. Only in exceptional circumstances would this decision be reconsidered by the Heads of Key Stage and the Leadership Group.

How can I help my child with his/her homework?
Wherever possible there should be a quiet, suitably equipped space where your child can get on with homework without interruption. There are links on the website that will enable you to check on what your child is studying in each subject area.

You should make full use of the Homework Diary, checking that homework is clearly noted down and completed on time. The diary should be signed by a parent/responsible adult each week. The diary also contains a copy of your child’s Homework Timetable so you can check what homework should be set each day.

How can I encourage my child to have a positive attitude about school?
Try to share as much as possible in your child’s experience. Take an interest in what they’re studying in each subject and keep a close eye on the homework diary for messages and information. Talk to your child about school and encourage them to become involved in the wide range of extracurricular opportunities available.

What should I do if I wish to make contact with a particular member of staff?
You should contact Reception in the first instance and they will advise you as to how to make If necessary the member of staff will telephone you when they are able to either have a discussion over the telephone or make an appointment for you to come into school. We would ask you not to arrive at school to see any member of staff without an appointment as they will in all probability be engaged in teaching or other school routines and be unable to see you.

Why has my child been given a uniform detention?
When a child infringes our uniform rules a uniform detention follows. This happens on a Wednesday after school. The detention lasts for one hour and 10 minutes until 4:45pm.

Why has my child been given a chewing gum detention?
Chewing gum is forbidden in school because it is often disposed of unhygienically and creates a lot of mess that is difficult to clear up. If a child is caught chewing gum, his/her name is noted and he/she will be placed in chewing gum detention which takes place on a Wednesday after school until 4:45pm.

How can I ensure I am up to date on all information about school?
You can refer to our website which carries up to date information and all letters that have been sent home. We also now have a texting service that informs parents of key events.

How does my child apply for St Mary’s 6th form?
Please go to our website home page where you can download our school prospectus and 6th form prospectus.

How can I support my child in choosing his/her options at the end of Key Stage 3, 4 and 5?

  • Key Stage 3 (Year 9):
    Speak to Head of Key Stage 3 Miss Drury.
    Attend Year 9 Information Evening in January and speak to staff.
  • Key Stage 4 (Year 11):
    Speak to Head of Key Stage 4 Miss McKay.
    Attend a Careers Interview.
    Attend the Post 16 Evening in school in January. Attend College Open Days and/or Evenings.
    Speak to Careers staff at school.
  • Key Stage 5 (Year 13):
    Speak to Head of Key Stage 5 Mr Bradley.
    Please refer to 6th form prospectus and information on our website.

St Mary's Catholic High School, Newbold Road, Newbold, Chesterfield, S41 8AG

St Marys Catholic High School Academy Trust is an exempt charity and a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales with Company Number 8107212 and has a registered office at Newbold Road, Upper Newbold, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 8AG.

St Mary's Catholic High School