The PE Department at St Mary’s RC High School is both hard working and high achieving. It is even more vibrant since the exciting opportunities afforded by the construction of an all weather pitch and the completion of a brand new sports hall, including multi gym.
There are ten members of staff in total, who contribute to the department.
- In KS3 pupils are taught a variety of sports and games together with gymnastics, OAA, athletics.
- In KS4 pupils continue to build upon KS3 activities. Pupils are given the opportunity to opt for GCSE PE.
- In KS5 students are given the opportunity to further develop their ability in the various activities on offer.
The choice covers a range of pursuits including squash, racquetball, table tennis as well as all major games, (including Gaelic football). Students are given the opportunity to opt for A level PE.
Throughout the school year a vast array of clubs and practices are run during dinner times and after school. Pupils are given the opportunity to compete for the school in football, netball, basketball, hockey, rounders, rugby, athletics, tennis, golf, cross-country, dance, gymnastics, and cricket.
The members of the PE Department are very professional and lively, constantly striving to give of their best to an enthusiastic collection of pupils. Within the department is a wealth of teaching experience and great variety of coaching and umpiring qualifications.
We have very strong links:
- Derbyshire Schools’ Sports Association
- PE Departments in the County’s schools
St Mary’s enjoys a close association with a variety of local sports clubs including
- Chesterfield Hockey Club
- Queen’s Park Tennis Club
- Chesterfield Rugby Club
- Chesterfield Basketball Club
- Chesterfield Athletics Club
- Chesterfield Netball Club
- Chesterfield Golf Club
- Staveley Women’s Hockey Club
The department offers GCSE and A Level PE.